[TYPO3-dev] passwords can't be changed in 4.2.2 backend

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Oct 10 14:34:16 CEST 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 10.10.2008 14:09:

>> Resolved: The bug is resolved, but not yet released to the public. It
>> could be in CVS (or like) waiting for a new release. Please note what
>> has been done and was it about to happen with the bug when putting it
>> into this state!
>
> I see no problem when you resolve a bug marking it as a duplicate if a
> note makes clear that the issue itself is not resolved (at the time of
> writing).
>
> It's easier to revive a resolved bug than a closed bug in case it turns
> out the bug isn't a duplicate after all.

I don't think this is a common use-case. A closed bug can also be
"reopened", AFAIK.

I think it is disturbing if one checks the bug tracker, finds an issue
that is marked as "resolved" and oversees that it is a duplicate of
something that is still being worked on. The word "closed" doesn't have
this conotation, as we also close "won't fix" and other kind of bugs
that are not really bugs (in my eyes).

The overview of current issues for a particular version also gets a bit
"twisted". Try filtering in Mantis bugs in Product Version 4.2.2 (all
other fields "Any"). "BE/FE-User passwords can't be changed (undefined)"
appears on that list as "Resolved", while it hasn't been resolved at
all. If they are marked as "Closed", it is clear that it is either a
non-issue or a duplicate. You could even filter out "Closed" for that
overview.

Cheers,
Ernesto