[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Sebastian Gebhard sg at webagentur-gebhard.de
Fri Oct 10 09:55:21 CEST 2008

>Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> * remove type hinting so function will not stop work
>> * mark function as deprecated so it will be removed in 4.5
>> * write a new function that makes it proper, cleaner code and better

+1
I think this is a procedure which is quite common in "state of the art"
APIs.

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Second thing is to rewrite the function. I would add another flag, which
> is named $noCache and by default set to true. This looks strange for a
> function named "...Cached" but it preserves compatibility and solves
> caching problem.

That doesn't look strange, it indeed ist, and I think this also wouldn't be
good code due to confusing function and parameter names. Yes a developer
should know the API he is using, but an API should also somehow be easy to
handle if possible and not make the developer google a days and a half until
he gets to this discussion to understand this odd naming.