[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Oct 9 19:04:27 CEST 2008

Hi Georg,

> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>
>  > many good reasons
>
> +1 !
>
> Ok things get broken sometimes but please not between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2..
> damn even the smallest feature is not allowed (which is ok) but you also
> can't just do those things in those bugfixing releases.

We are talking about raising the code quality of the next "major"
release, namely 4.3.0, not about breaking code in upcoming 4.2.3.

I agree that it would be easy to let old-unmaintained extension still
work (perhaps) when we allow NULL to be passed but we have a chance to
have a better code and you would do some tricks not to break those
extensions?

Personally I would be even more strict and force each extension to give
lower *and* upper bound for the TYPO3 version it was tested for and let
EM check that nobody is able to upload an extension with compatibility
set to a non-existing release or upcoming release of TYPO3. This would
force developer to take care of their extension, would prune obsolete
ones more easily or at least, warn users that they may come into trouble
using them.

It would be just a matter of letting users know that someone actually
takes care of the extensions or that it became not maintained anymore
and that someone may go ahead and replace the original author for new
releases.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en