[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Oct 9 18:58:25 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote: on 09.10.2008 18:36:

>> There are some changes that are of course not backwards compatible,
>> which will break extensions and which we did in the past (upgrade to
>> PHP5, change of paths and symlinks), but in most case there was a good
>> reason to do so, breaking the one or other existing extensions. In my
>> eyes this is not a good reason.

> Broken extension can be easily fixed by changing null to a proper
> argument. Why are you resisting it? Why does it look good to you to pass
> wrong arguments to functions?

Well, NULL wasn't wrong until probably 4.3, those extensions were not
"broken" before, which is why I don't think they should "brake" after
the 4.3 upgrade.

I consider NULL to be special (even PHP doc does it, as it is handled as
well), as this is also the value of the uninitialized variable, which is
the problem here.

My proposed solution would keep the type hinting, but allowing NULL
(undef-var), which is a minor change, and won't break any extension that
did it "old school" (only those who explicitly pass an integer, a string
or something else).

Why are *you* resisting? :)

You don't need to install those extensions, if you feel they are "bad".

TYPO3 has always claimed for high backwards compatibility, which is why
many people love it so much. Lately the trend has been to "lets change
it because it looks nicer" and turning down "mere users" which cannot
upgrade their installations because they run some extension that does it
"old school".

Ok, enough said, I think this is some discussion that will keep turning
round and round.

Cheers,
Ernesto