[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Oct 9 15:51:32 CEST 2008

> The API (meaning the "code") always allowed "NULL" values to be passed
> as parameters, that has not changed even with PHP5. There was no type
> hinting before (4.2 works fine in PHP5, not extension broke). We gain

But it always stated in the documentation that the argument was an
array. If a developer is not able to deal with this simple fact and puts
NULL instead, then it's not the problem of the core of TYPO3. This
change won't break any code that was coded properly.

> nothing in changing it now apart from the fact that some extensions will
> stop working. I don't see a reason to do that. We could stop people
> passing strings or integers, that is ok ("education"), my suggestion was
> exactly that: allow only arrays AND the NULL value (nothing else). Won't
> break any extension, we still have type hinting, everybody happy?

This would change the interface of the method just for those developers
who did not want to read the API they use. I'm against that.

> We need to use some common sense here and there in those kind of stuff.

Let poorly written extensions work with 4.2.x. If you remember 4.2.0,
many extensions had to be upgraded to work. This will perhaps be the
case with 4.3. Why should good extensions such as TV and RealURL need to
constantly adapt and poorly written extensions just work without any new
release time to time?

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en