[TYPO3-dev] Tapping into 'auth' Service Type

Frank Weindel fjw24 at drexel.edu
Thu Oct 2 17:45:49 CEST 2008

Hello all,
I've just been working with Typo3 extension development for just a
little over a week and have a quick question.

I am trying to create an extension that will modify a FE user's log-in
information right after they first log-in with a username and password,
but before the username and password is sent to be authenticated. It
should just md5 hash the password and put it back to be authenticated.

I'm looking into services for this. There is a service called 'auth'
with a subType 'getUserFE', and I thought if I could tap into this I
could succeed in what I want to do. So I used the extension wizard to
add a service to my extension. But I noticed that the 'auth',
'getUserFE' service is called by 'class.t3lib_userauth.php' before my
service is even added.

So basically what I am asking: Is there a way to add my service before
authentication is run?

Thanks,
Frank Weindel