[TYPO3-dev] Order result of query based on comma-seperated string

Sacha Vorbeck Vorbeck at moduleBox.com
Thu Oct 2 08:20:43 CEST 2008

Hello Oliver,

> The 5th parameter of SELECT_query() can be set to the sort column of the
> table. But I guess you'd like to have a very specific sorting as
> provided in the string $bookIDs ("3,1,4,2")?

exactly.

Therefore you can use the
> "ORDER BY FIELD()" in MySQL - however this query is not very efficient
> compared to database normalization...

>      'FIELD(uid, ' . $bookIDs . ')',

thank you very much. Efficiency is not that important here as there are
only a few records. But of course it would be better to otimize things
right from the start. So what would be the best/most efficient way to
code this? Do the sorting in PHP?

--
all the best,
Sacha