[TYPO3-dev] Active Directory Federation Services and TYPO3

Bas v.d. Wiel j.a.m.v.d.wiel at tue.nl
Mon Nov 10 14:04:40 CET 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Bas v.d. Wiel schrieb:
>
>> Hello list,
>> Our organization is currently deploying ADFS authentication services.
>> Does anyone here know of any work already being done on TYPO3 in this area?
>>

> Authentication using "plain" Active Direcory works with existing
> extensions (via LDAP). What is the difference between AD and ADFS?
>
> Masi

Hi Martin,
Indeed, we already have 'plain' AD working here no problem. ADFS is an
extension added to Windows Server 2003R2. In short it allows for
authentication between multiple completely different AD domains (if I
understand it correctly, I'm still new at this myself). You can read all
about it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/R2/Identity_Management/ADFSwhitepaper.mspx

The concrete use case we have here is a network between three separate
universities who maintain a single website (www.3tu.nl). We'd like to
have BE users from all three the participating institutions to be able
to log in using their own local network credentials. TYPO3 doesn't allow
this yet, but it doesn't appear to be exceptionally difficult if you
know what you're doing (which I don't, when it comes to authentication
services). Apparently ADFS is completely based on web services.

Bas