[TYPO3-dev] Getting rid of deprecated TypoScript stuff in TYPO3

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed Nov 5 08:54:23 CET 2008

Hi,

> IMO there two types of devs.
>
> 1. Setting up a Typo3-System. Don't care for updates and security fixes,
> because "never change a running system". So they are not up to date with
> changes of Typo3.
>
> 2. Setting up a Typo3-System, using every new stable version. They get
> the changes by them self and are normally up to date.

There would be a third type if it were possible (I would this type for
at least a few install)... Namely "Setting up a TYPO3-System, using
every new stable version *and* applying blocking bug fixes". But it
would require a list of patches to be applied to the latest stable
install to make it work, just as OpenBSD does:

http://openbsd.org/errata44.html

This would allow, for instance the 4.2.2 to be used because the mail
function was broken and unless an admin is watching the core threads and
manually applied the patch that was submitted, he was forced to rollback
to the "more stable" 4.2.1.

And I don't consider that using an up-to-date version of the branch
continuously is the way to go.

Now, I repeat myself but we may as well *force* maintainers to update
their extensions. The TER could force the "major" supported version of
TYPO3 to, for instance 4.3 now (even it was not yet released). As such,
extension maintainers *will* have to update their extensions once 4.4 is
out otherwise people will get a warning that the extension is not said
to be compatible... And the EM could be updated to show all "up-to-date"
extensions rather than the stable and reviewed ones. A default setting
which I guess nobody is using...

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html