[TYPO3-dev] Getting rid of deprecated TypoScript stuff in TYPO3

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Tue Nov 4 18:34:45 CET 2008

Oliver Hader schrieb:

> There are three possibilities how to handle this:
> a) Integrate checks for the out-dated stuff and blow up the whole source
> code a bit more. When old stuff is found, a warning appears in some kind
> of log file (sysLog or whatever).

Not hard to do: for TS and configuration you choose option b) for
deprecated API functions you simply add a logger/warning function.
Probably less work than what you did now (figuring out the version when
something has been deprecated).

> b) Integrate a very complex update wizard in the install tool that
> parses all TypoScript and configuration issues that are out-dated and
> inform the administrator directly in the user interface.

That only works for TS and configuration, but won't help for APIs (see
a). But why fiddle with any wizard? Simply use the admin panel and log
the access to deprecated TS configurations. Additionally we could also
log the stuff like in case a), though I would make this configurable.

BTW, did you also check the different TS documenations to see when which
TS configration has been deprecated? I don't think that this stuff has
been marked within the sources.

> c) Rely on the fact that it was stated in the documentation that
> properties are "deprecated" and should not have been used any longer -
> and... just remove the old stuff, save many checks during the processing
> and speed up the whole rendering process.
>
> Personally I'm in for "c)" but wanted to know about your opinion on that.

I would choose c), but as we never removed anything I fear we must
implement a) and the logging/AdminPanel variant of b)

Masi