[TYPO3-dev] ChangeLog - simple, easy but realy powerfull and a real "benediction"

Jonas Dübi admin at commandline.ch
Thu May 22 09:33:45 CEST 2008

Hi everyone

Do you know that:

There is a new version of an extension your using in your projects. To
asure that everything works after updating, you want to know what realy
changed, but there is no ChangeLog. Just a short not realy helpfull
sentence in the TER like "mainly bugfix release" or "a lot of features".

What do you do? You take kdiff3 or winmerge and look into the
differences within the source. But even there you don't realy get it
always, because you don't know why there is this additional if which
checks if the flexform value is set and takes the value of the config
first instead of the piVars like in the version before...

And what realy astones me is that great, powerfull and cool extensions
do not have proper ChangeLog.

So if you don't have a ChangeLog yet, start it put something into it and
even if it's:

------

2008-05-22 Jonas Duebi <jd at cabag.ch>
	* created and started ChangeLog.txt, please add all changes here

------

Every buddy who tought nobody reads their ChangeLogs, we do!

We are 4 developers and we read and writhe changelogs always, for all
internal projects, for all extensions we use, extend and develop.

Just a few lines which make people happy :-)

Best Regards,
Jonas

PS: I don't want to talk about README. But why is this file everywhere
and always with the same content?