[TYPO3-dev] Coding guidelines questions: commas in array, tabs

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Mon May 19 17:03:53 CEST 2008

Hi Oliver,

"Oliver Klee" <typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1211208606.17011.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi everybody,
>
> after the (very productive!) coding guidelines (CGL) session at the
> T3DD08, I wondered about three possible special cases of or exceptions
> from the rules we decided on.
>
> I'd like know whether this already is covered by the new CGL (and I just
> missed it) or how this should be handled.
>

> 1. We decided that there should be a comma even after the last element of
> an array:
>
>   $foo = array(
>     'bar',
>     'foobar',
>   );
>

> 1a. Should this also apply to single-element arrays?
>   $foo = array(
>     'bar',
>   );
>
> (My vote is to *keep* the comma in this case. -> *no* exception to the
> general rule)

i think we said to use the comma in every case, also with a single element.
Main reason is, if you add an element you don't have to change the line
before.

> 1b. Should this also apply to arrays that use one line only?
>   $foo = array('bar');
>     vs.
>   $foo = array('bar',);
>
>   $foo = array(11, 42);
>     vs.
>   $foo = array(11, 42,);
>
> (My vote is to *drop* the comma in this case. -> *exception* to the
> general rule)

i wouldn't use the comma here. When you add a value you change this line
anyway.

> 2. We decided that tabs should only be used at the beginning of lines, but
> not after a non-tab character.
>
> Does this also apply to tabs after @param, @return, @author?

> (My vote is to use *spaces* in this, not tabs. -> *no* exception to the
> general rule)

how does IDE format this, or extdeveval?
In general i'm for spaces as they are used for optical alignment.

vg Steffen