[TYPO3-dev] domesticating t3lib_div::debug

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri May 2 14:09:54 CEST 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> what is not compatible? I don't see an issue
>
> using $GLOBALS['forceDebug'] is same behaviour like before,
> without only the debug info is placed different.

No, it is not the same.

I see two issues here.

Let's say I have sqlDebug enabled (just in case). It produces SQL error reports if errors happen. My BE module does not have any templates and does not know about ###DEBUG###. So I do not see any output and miss any random SQL errors. I miss all my debug() calls as well.

Ok, I remember that I cannot see debug() calls immediately since 4.2.1 and turn on forceDebug. But my module dies in the middle and all debug output is lost.

Sorry, this is no go. Often debug output is the only way to get any results of a crash. It must be outputted immediately, not cached until the end of the script, which can die.

I often do thing like:

debug($var); exit;

How this will work? No output? No go.

--