[TYPO3-dev] stdWrap for all TLO's

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Mar 27 20:30:54 CET 2008

> Sorry for only following up now, but of course it does damage.
> Imagine:
> obj = USER
> obj.stdWrap.wrap = <div class="bla">|</div>
>
> If the USER method already called stdWrap at the end, the output will
> already have a <div> around. If TYPO3 core now also calls stdWrap on
> that, of course you get two <div>s around the output. Same for all
> other transformations applied by stdWrap, some might even be more
> dangerous than this one.

It seems you still don't get the point.
If there already is a <div>|</div> or whatever the stdWrap added to the
output of the plugin, fine with me. No need to use the default stdWrap of
the USER element.
But if this is not the case because the developer didn't apply any stdWrap
functionality the default stdWrap would come in handy.

So the question remains: What is the real damage caused by a second wrap or
whatever would be added by the default stdWrap I proposed?
And how could this "damage" happen to the output without interaction of an
admin who creates the TypoScript code causing it?

        output

Can't see the damage here. It's just a superfluous tag that could be easily
removed if necessary.
On the other hand, a wrapping tag can't be added as easily if the default
stdWrap is missing and the developer didn't use stdWrap at all.

Currently the only workaround for plugins is:

temp.parkPlugin < plugin.whatever
plugin.whatever >
plugin.whatever = COA
plugin.whatever {
    10 < temp.parkPlugin
    stdWrap.something = blah
}

Pretty annoying if you compare it to

plugin.whatever {
    stdWrap.something = blah
}

Or imagine a combination of plugins depending on other plugins.
Easily acchieved by just a small piece of TS:

plugin.whatever {
    stdWrap.append < plugin.somethingelse
}

IMHO a default stdWrap property for USER/USER_INT can't cause any more
"damage" than the same stdWrap property applied to the output within the PHP
code of the plugin by the developer himself.

Just my 2 cents

Joey