[TYPO3-dev] resize on large images after upload

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:02:33 CET 2008

hello,

i had to extend the upload-handling of an extension for images which were
to large.
Why don't use it in the core on file(image)-uploading in fileadmin?

it occured that the file were uploaded anyway and than the size was
checked. if it was to large it just was deleted and an error-message was
given.

my idea:
so the file is available on the server, I can resize it with IM/GM before
storing (and save a lot of space) instead of a resizing everytime I want
to display it.

The triggers for the resizing are:
filesize in bytes and resolution in pixel:
if an image is larger than the allowed 1MB it is resized
if an image is larger than the later needed resolution (1024x768) it is
resized
both limits are configurable

the resulting image is resized to my maximum resolution (which should be
selected to fit the filesize, as this is not checked any more)

what about having this in the core?

for uploads to fileadmin or uploads to any extension.
it should be configurable in install-tool like the maximum size for
uploads and the maximum pixel-size for FE-images

BTW: a prototype-code may be seen on my german site:
http://www.pi-phi.de/t3v4/index.php?id=33#c235

Bernd