[TYPO3-dev] css_styled_content makes wrong markup

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sat Mar 1 18:57:26 CET 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Uschi Renziehausen schrieb:
>> Hi Masi,
>>
>> Martin Kutschker wrote:

>>> Why? TYPO3 had those anchor since I ever saw it, whoch was 3.5. But I
>>> guess it has been there much longer.
>>>

>> Why? Perhaps because they are friends of lean clean markup?
>
> I like clean markup. But the way some folks fight over the code reminds
> me of a term used for guys correcting other guys postings. The nasty
> term is "grammar nazi".
>
> Sorry, but to me this is nit picking.

Do you really think it is necessary to insult people just because they
do not like superfluous code in their markup? There might be people who
who exaggerate, but I do find grammar nazi in our current context a
little bit over the top. Can you tell me a reason why that anchor
element should be kept although it is superfluous, no css changes are
needed plus people might encounter problems with it?

>> It must have been around since the time where section index was
>> introduced, because otherwise you could not have section links. And in
>> those olden times it was needed, because browsers did not react to id
>> but only <a name="somename">Go upstairs</a>
>> But nowadays all browsers can deal with id as target for a section
>> link, so the a element is superfluous and in some rare cases might
>> cause layout trouble or invalid code.
>
> I don't see how an extra valid element may invalidate the surrounding code.
It can happen when you want you want to display your content inside a
list, be that dl, ul or dl. This, if I remember right, was the problem
of a guy I talked to in irc or I read about it in german or english list.

> Anyway, if you don't like it change the TS. If you have more time build
> your own rendering extension.

I changed it in TS, and I am sure I am not the only one. It took me some
time, but i figured it out on my own and learned a lot by doing so. This
is not something you learn in your first three lessons of TS.
Even if I was able to build my own rendering extensions I would not do
so. I do believe in the improvement of what we have, and that is not bad
already ;-)

Uschi