[TYPO3-dev] indexed search and Mysql FULL TEXT index

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Mar 1 13:50:58 CET 2008

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Thanx. I didn't think it was hard to do even without digging up the
> mentioned patch. BTW, I didn't mean to try to detect if the Mysql table
> had a full text index (I'd simply change the ext_tables.sql!), but that
> even if DBAL is loaded to check if it's tables are on a Mysql server.

There is a little problem with ext_tables.sql. Using FULLTEXT means forcing MyISAM. This has to be taken into account in ext_tables. But it means worse performance in FE when index tables are used for simulaneous indexing & querying.

> I meant that a real search index making use of Mysql's (or another DBs)
> full text index would use different data structures, but still we can
> probably speed up certain queries.
>
> All "LIKE 'begin%'" queries are - more or less - ok. But you have to
> convince your users that this is a meaningful default ;-)

MySQL can optimize 'whatever%'. But it cannot do anything about '%whatever%' or '%whatever' :(

> I think that the typical "LIKE '%part%'" query could benefit if it used
> the full text index instead of the regular index.

Fully agree. But you still cannot get rid of indexing and querying at the same time, which is disaster with MyISAM.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team