[TYPO3-dev] the core's missing dbal/postgresql compatibility

Michael Greiner Michael.Greiner at web.de
Tue Jun 24 15:12:35 CEST 2008

Hello,

Recently, I follow many links to dbal/postgresql
compatibility related issues.

At the beginning it sounded like everything was good
with adodb and dbal, but after one year of bitter
experience I draw the conclusion, that this is yet not
the case. So it was not a thought-out decision to rush
into PostgreSQL with Typo3 a year ago. Because even
now, many people out there struggle with missing dbal
compatibility and this already starts with the core.

Furthermore there is a lack of support among the most
important extensions like mailformplus, tt_news or
tt_products.

In my opinion I good choice would be to either tell
the people that Typo3 works only well on MySQL or
to care about the minority of PostgreSQL and other
users by implementing full dbal compatibility.

This clear statement would strengthen the professional
directionof Typo3. Right now, there is many material
and discussion about the right database but I found
no trustworthy direct and clear statement from the main
developers.

Where are we going? What can we rely on? Good infor-
mation on Typo3 and DB abstraction is missing and
reasonable decisions therefore hard to make.

Please give this point a chance in your discussion
and strengthen the professional use of Typo3 by
improving dbal support in the core and/or clear
statements on DB compatibility.

Please let me know if the information from several
tests is of any interest in this mailinglist or
somewhere else.

Like anyone here I care about the further development
of Typo3, so let's give the community a document that
helps any IT project leader in the world to decide on
which database he runs Typo3.

Thanks a lot!

Michael