[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-core] RFC: #8623: Shortcut mode also to the parent page

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:49:04 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Uschi Renziehausen
<typo3news at otherone.de> wrote:
> Hey Christopher :-))
>
> Christopher Torgalson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I don't completely understand: why are the two existing pagetypes
>> preferable to what was suggested in the first message in the thread?

>> Since this is already how the UI works in other linking contexts, I'd
>> say extending the concept to page records is very good suggestion. But
>> perhaps I've missed something?
>>

> My reasons for keeping External and Internal apart:
>
> a) different icons in pagetree let me see at first glance what is what.
> b) If you write your main and submenus tswise, you can use the pagetype
> for different styling of the links.
>
> That the UI works like that is not necessarily a reason. If I want to
> produce a menu of selected links I do have my pagetree already loaded on
> the left site. Why do I need to load it again in the element browser
> instead of being able to select my links directly from there?
> Mind you: Collecting those pages is a tough job currently, especially if
> you have a huge pagetree.

These are all 'behind the scenes' considerations. Page type and icons
could be kept as is now even if the distinction is made when the
record is saved. I just don't see any need for end-users' activities
to be dictated by developers' concerns such as these (and sure, the
link browser is not a brilliant UI, but why not use it in both places,
AND improve it..?)

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/