[TYPO3-dev] Magento to TYPO3

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Tue Jul 29 02:33:40 CEST 2008

Hy Georg;
>> To implement Magento for TYPO3 is one of the worst things that can
>> happen to the future of the currently developed TYPO3 shop extensions.
>>

> I am missing a bit the reasons why this is not good in your eyes! Please
> explain?
>
> tt_products will *never* be that powerful as Magento is already now! I
> don't want to get personal but using tt_products and adopting it to your
> needs has never been real fun in my eyes! I know TYPO3 quite well and
> written enough extensions but sorry to say so!
>
> Magento is one of the most powerful shop systems on the open source
> market which is developed by a strong team and a big community is
> starting! Many companies are intested in Magento and this just can't be
> said about tt_products but about TYPO3 as CMS. Out of this reasons It
> makes very much sense to me to connect these 2 systems!

I don't know Franz exact complaints, but I can imagine quite a lot
worries that your statement produces. I don't know the Magneto system,
but I know a lot other tries of this kind with other CMSs like Joomla +
CP and consorten.

I personally think that integration of other systems functionality into
a extendable system isn't bad per-se, but the realization of these
'bridges' often renders both sistems useless and/or currupt untill the
point of no-repair. I can imagine that a Typo3 + SMF or Typo3 + Plone or
then Typo3 + Magneto will not make the burned kids feeling safe, so to
say. The comment about SSO allready made our day, right? How are you
going to explain and implement, and explain the implementation of a
'bridge' between Typo3 + Magneto? Even though I don't agree with Franz,
I do understand the concern that Magneto will (like a Magnet :-) suck
developer-resources from tt_product, which would be bad, because then we
don't have a minimal kickstarting product-extension anymore. Sometimes
minimal is sufficient, and sometimes it's even better than the bloated
system. In which way do you think Magneto renders tt_product obsolete?
In which market are they competing, anyway? Could you possibly configure
your product the TS-way (means: does Magneto have TS-integration)?

 From my experience in Software-Development the 'bridges' though, are
bad^TM. Too much cooks, too much styles, too different concepts, and you
try to mangle them by pure force together. In a perfect world we would
have /well designed/ systems, and the system could just be sub-classed
by typo3_magnet extends base_magneto. How are you going to prevent
version-madness and incomaptibilties? Do the people of Magneto care
about Typo? Will they change their core for easying integration into
other systems, especially Typo3? Will they make any compromises for
Typo3 if the time of getting rid of the old useless code?

There are a lot of questions open, and even though I understand your
enthusiasm, I understand Franz's protectionism also.
Ciao
    Niels