[TYPO3-dev] Soution: Page is being generated

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Wed Jan 30 21:16:17 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:

> "ries van Twisk" <typo3 at rvt.dds.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Berhard proposes his solution to core developers when core developers
>> says its
>> a proper solution the association will pay him and his work get's into
>> core. That
>> said also if all member of the association agrees on it.
>
> i don't see any problem.
> It's the same as in BT - enter Sponsorship, and when patch is finished and
> works, then sponsors have to pay, not before ;-)

Hi again,

This is exactly what I proposed: I want to find sponsors for fixing this
bug as it took me more than a whole day to create it (it's not the number
of lines of code - but rather digging into the caching system and finding
a proper solution) ...

If some have agreed on sponsoring it I would have sent the patch - if you
agree it works I get paid - if not feel free to blame me ...

Ok. When I consider Masi's latest posting:
>I think that Bernhard can trust or release managers to be men of honour
> to respect his work. Also the community may trust them that their review
> will be just.

I will now give you a link to the patch to this posting. Please note
that the patch
contains lot of "debugging" lines ... they are marked by the comment
###DEBUG_REMOVE### at the end of the code line ... So I can simply filter
them out using "grep -v"

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/PIBG_patch_v1.diff
(PIBG = PageIsBeingGenerated)

IMPORTANT: You have to enable the patch in the install tool (this can
get remove
when everybody agrees) ( Install Tool Key:
[FE][disablePageIsBeingGenerated] )
0 = patch disabled
1 = patch enabled
2 = debug + patch enabled
-1 = debug enabled + patch disabled

I also give you a link to a tarball of my testing-environment (which
steve tried but didn't
get it to work)

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/cachetest_v1.tar.gz

... there are a few things you have to take care of for the debugging
environment:

*1* You have to be logged in into the BE (the script is clearing the
site-caches
automaticall - else you would have to click both clear cache buttons
manually
after each test-run (just check those 3 html file's JS - it isn't doing
anything bad)

*2* The test-environment hast to get untared into the webroot of the
site you
are going to test ...

*3* If you would like to test a site "without" having the whole patch
applied you
at least have to add the line

-------------
unset($_GET['cachetestFrame']);
-------------

at the top of index.php or tslib/index_ts.php (before TSFE is instanciated).
I had to add a variable "cachetestFrame" to each link - because
otherwise (when
both frames had the same URL) firefox seemed to wait with loading the
later frame
until the first one is finished (I think FF is coded in such a way that
it takes it out of
its internal cache if it has the same URL ...)

Comparison:
===========
This are .png files showing the test-environment with the patch enabled:

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/fixed_100.png
http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/fixed_500.png
http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/fixed_5000.png
* ... just have a look at them. I marked the important times with a red
box ... *

And without patch enabled:

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/unfixed_100.png
* 100 ms delay. The page is completly generated and stored into page two
times *

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/unfixed_500.png
* 500 ms delay. In the right frame you get the page is being generated
message cause
the left frame already handled to put the tempPageCachedContent into cache*

http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/page_is_being_generated/unfixed_5000.png
* 5s delay. Both frames get rendered indepently. The right one gets
fetched from cache *

PS: If you have questions feel free to contact me via IM/skype,etc:
http://think-open.at/en/contact/
Or in #typo3 on irc.freenode.net ...
I think it is easier to handle your questions this way ...

greets,
Bernhard