[TYPO3-dev] Mysql 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Jan 30 20:38:02 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

>>> Is anyone running TYPO3 on a Mysql 4.0 installation? This index
>>> definition breaks: KEY lookup_string( ref_table, ref_string( 600 ) )
>>>
>>> I had to reduce the 600 down to 200.

That should be the default when using multiplyDBfieldSize=2, which is
usually sufficent for UTF-8 sites.

>>> So, does that mean that TYPO3 require Mysql 4.1 all along and we
>>> simply didn't know?

No.

>> Ok, more facts. ref_string is defined as VARCHAR(200), but as I need
>> utf8 I had to enable the multiplier thingy ending up with a TEXT field.
>> The installer increased 200 to 600 and Mysql breaks.
>>
>> Hm. I think Mysql has increased the key lenght for 4.1 and above, but
>> there you have built-in utf8 support anyway.
>
> Afterthought: if we could flag ASCII (7bit) only columns we could omit
> these from the multiplication.

No. multiplyDBfieldSize is a - sorry - terrible feature and I'm all for
dropping it as soon as possible. Use proper table charsets instead of
writing UTF-8 into a latin1 table...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out