[TYPO3-dev] Thoughts about security in BE

Marcus Krause marcus.krause at tu-clausthal.de
Fri Jan 18 13:27:00 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> "Marcus Krause" <marcus.krause at tu-clausthal.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1.1200657650.23809.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>>> Possible (Core change).
>> And is often used for applications in IT world.
>>

> any admin with DB-Access can simply change PW-string in DB, so it doesn't
> have wanted effect.

That's why I wrote "Thoughts about security in BE". Where does a typical admin
in BE has to possibility to access the DB directely - by using phpmyadmin.
Therefore you have to secure that extension too.
A admin certainly has the possibility to change the password for any user. But
an attacker who has highjacked admin accound is no more interested in user accounts!

>>> I'd use a specific password for the tool, not the user's password (or
>>> perhaps both). Anyway this is a change of the ext which is not mainted by
>>> the Core team as isn't a sysext any more.
>> Any password would be okay (perhaps install tool?). I know, this is a
>> third party extension, but I was interested in what you think about that
>> before filling a feature request.

>>> Possible (Core change).
>>>

> any Admin with FTP (or using tools like quixplorer) can manipulate
> localconf.php without using EM.

My point are security risks by XSS. You cannot retrieve FTP credentials by XSS.
Anyway, ftp is unsecure. Use a secure method (SFTP,...) to access your
TYPO3-installation.