[TYPO3-dev] t3lib_cache

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Jan 17 16:55:33 CET 2008

ries van Twisk wrote: on 17.01.2008 14:50:

> Just to give you my opinion,
>
> a nice table for the purpose would be nice.
> This can solve many problems (fast) for example if you have
> data chown (for example news) on multiple pages/branches then there
> should be a method that whenever
> a nice item is changed/added... the pages/branches where that news item
> shows up
> should beable to get purged from the cache.
>
> Personally i think that typo3 core should handle this and not the
> responsibility of an extension,
> and extension could only register records to the caching system so core
> knows where to find what.
> (thinking out loud here.....)

Caching is not only dependant on records, so I would not
delegate that task to core. This will only handle pure "single views"
where just one record for one extension is shown.

Here a bunch of examples:

- list view of news, which displays the latest 5 news in category ABC:
caching depends on records that are placed in category ABC and not on a
record in particular

- product teasers that are attached to a certain news record. Maybe two
are selected at random from all records that are linked to that news
record for display.

- a news list view with paginator (all cached). The paginator is of
course dependant on the total number of records that were selected by
the news extension and not on a particular news uid.

- etc

The information about which records exactly where rendered during the
creation of a page might be interesting, but not really the most
relevant stuff when the extensions needs to decide which pages to
"obsolete".

Cheers,
Ernesto