[TYPO3-dev] SymLinked typo3/ext

Stefan Geith typo3dev2008.nospam1 at geithware.de
Thu Jan 3 15:20:02 CET 2008

Hi Ernesto,

> Stefan Geith wrote: on 11.12.2007 15:41:
>> > Couldn't
>> >    $BACK_PATH
>> > simply be set to
>> >    $GLOBALS['_SERVER']['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'typo3/'
>> > ?
> It might work in your specific situation (typo3 installation in your
> document root) but there are some people running typo3 installations in
> some sub-directory of the document root. The relative solution should
> always work regardless of where in your DocumentRoot the typo3
> installation is placed.
>
> About the original problem, I think it is not intended to have typo3/ext
> a symlink to some other place. This will work for FE-plugins, since they
> always have a correct TYPO3-Framework in place (init already loaded) but
> will fail for every Backend-Module which relies on relative BACK_PATH to
> the TYPO3 installation.
>
> Currently I cannot think of any way to solve that, since the webserver
> (at least linux/apache) seems to use the "realdir" when calling the
> BE-module.

Maybe there could be implemented a Typo3-Conf-Var
   $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['EXT']['pathToTypo3']="###BASEPATH###www/typo3/";
that will be used to override the value $BACK_PATH ?

Maybe a call like
   t3lib_div::getPathToTypo3()
could then deliver the actual $BACK_PATH. I think this would/could
be the cleanest way ... what do you think ?

This would be an easy way and it would be possible to place the
(symlinked) ext-Directory where you want:

I like to have a common global Ext-Directory for my 4.1.x an 4.2.dev
Installations ...
I then can be sure to alwyas have the same (=latest) global plugins on
all Installations.

> So if you only have TYPO3 installations directly in your DocumentRoot,
> you might as well tweak (patch) all BE-modules you have in your global
> shared typo3/ext dir with $GLOBALS['_SERVER']['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'typo3/'.
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto

Cheers,
    Stefan