[TYPO3-dev] Datetime bug in 4.2 - SOLUTION

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:16:11 CET 2008

on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:33:09 +0200, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> Ok, ok I didn't test it. But wasn't it the original idea to send UTC
>> from the BE client to the server? If it were (this part seems to be
>> broken), the server could change it into his TZ and store the time
>> correctly. *
>
> May be it was the idea. But the actual value sent, is the value of
> localtime + user's time zone. And this value is stored in the database.

maybe you have to redefine the whole time-handling?

my idea on timehandling with different timezones and different editors
would be:

store UTC, but handle it client-specific. Which means on every display or
transmit there will be a calculation from or into UTC.

the BE-user might define his timezone in his BE-user-rec or by his
operating system: if he looks on a record he will be displayed the time
calculatetd in his timezone (calculated either from the server if he has
given a timezone in his BE-record, or by javascript if depending on his
OS). On editing this will be calculated backward from same instance.

deciding wether data is shown or not can be calculated on a timezone-
setting of the webserver given by the os or given in localconf.php
(install-tool). Having the webserver as own client against the database.

just my thoughts

Bernd