[TYPO3-dev] date and datetime fields

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sat Feb 23 19:22:17 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi Masi,
>
> "Martin Kutschker" <martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:mailman.1.1203784285.928.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>
>> That there is a reason start/stop are defines as dates. The point is that
>> TYPO3 will deliver the cached version (default 24h) and won't take the
>> start/stop time into account. And to make start/stop work reliable you
>> have to set up the clear-cache-at-midnight feature or to turn down the
>> cache time of all pages with a start/stop date with a time.
>>
> how can this work? the start/stop has to be read anyway imho.

Of course I wrote nonsense :-) It's the cache of pages linking to the
possibly hidden page that is the problem. You would have to tune their
cache time manually. The clear-at-midnight is just a simple idea to make
sure that at midnight all pages are regenerated so that links to oages
with start/stop may appear and disappear.

> So may be i don't know the real process with cache, is record untouched when
> page is cached?
> If page has a start-date, it's not displayed before, how could the page be
> cached? (stop yes)

See above.

> Should such signal-dates processed anyway and also used for clearing the
> cache?

TYPO3 has "now" (for a couple of versions) the soft-references feature.
IMHO this could be used for improved cache management. A cron job could
look for pages that change state (shown/hidden) because of start/stop
and could clear the cache for all pages that link to those pages. A
similiar mechanism could be used in the BE whenever a page is changed.
Currently there is only the option to clear the cache of the parent and
the siblings but here again soft-refences could come into play.

Masi