[TYPO3-dev] date and datetime fields

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sat Feb 23 17:31:26 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I ask myself why some fields only defined as date. Date and datetime fields
> are always stored as timestamp, so the difference is only that date uses
> midnight as time.
>
> eg start and stop are type date, so there is no chance to define "start at
> 11:00 am"
> "Last updated" is datetime, "New until" only date.
>
> Imho this is inconsistent. Date fields are ok for birthday or such fields,
> but not for above kind of fields.
> I think date2cal change that. i would like to have this as datetime in
> general. What do you think?

That there is a reason start/stop are defines as dates. The point is
that TYPO3 will deliver the cached version (default 24h) and won't take
the start/stop time into account. And to make start/stop work reliable
you have to set up the clear-cache-at-midnight feature or to turn down
the cache time of all pages with a start/stop date with a time.

So I think it's ok that the default is date. Anyone who knows what he is
doing can change it easily to datetime.

Masi