[TYPO3-dev] Keeping a history of old URLs with RealURL

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Mon Feb 18 11:20:03 CET 2008

Hi all,

> When a page is renamed or moved, the encode cache of RealURL is flushed.
> This is fine because it allows for the generation of the new, updated
> speaking URLs. It is a problem because it means old URLs cannot be found
> anymore. This is bad for external search engines and bookmarked links.

I looked into that again trying to take into account all the answers I
received. What it boils down to is that it works fine when using the
"autoUpdatePathCache" property and, yes, there is a bug with
"expireDays" (mostly old URLs never expire).

I have summed up my experiments in the wiki:

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/RealURL#Preserving_a_history_of_URLs

Maybe part of it can make in into the manual to make things clearer.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter