[TYPO3-dev] tt_news : orphan extension ?

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Wed Feb 13 21:22:32 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Peter Förger wrote:
>> Right, but after all it's still a CRUD (Create/Read/Update/Delete)
>> extension, not very spectacular kind of code. (don't get me wrong, I
>> don't wanna blame Kaspar's, Stig's and Rupi's work on that. I've
>> honored it a couple of times…)
>
> Well, this is an old extension. It is impossible to convert old
> extensions to use newer and modern programming techniques. It is easier
> to write from scratch. But writing complete new news system would be too
> big task. And I do not think it is feasible to do it. tt_news still
> works and works well!

Yes, it works, but IMHO all query generating code is dubious. I had to
debug this a year ago or so for a PosgreSQL installation and it was
really hard to understand what was going on.

Also some TS switches, have some rather unexpected side effects
triggering other switches as well.

But of course I'm using it as it does what is supposed to do 99.99% of
all cases. Just don't look at the code ;-)

Masi