[TYPO3-dev] Flexforms and languages

Daniel Pötzinger operation-lan at gmx.de
Thu Feb 7 23:32:24 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> i like to clearify the language handling in flexforms.
> Flexforms allows to be shown in different languages, but default (and
> recommended) setting is langDisable=1
> If this isn't set, the flexform appears in all languages, if it's set
> flexform only is shown in default language.
>
> Is that really the right behavior or is that a bug?
>
> As flexforms are part of extensions parameter settings, it's like a content
> element. Contentelements are only shown in the language of the page.
>
> So i would expect following behavior:
> if looking to default language flexform should be shown in default language
> if page is translated to second language and you switch view to languages,
> flexform should show language of the column only.
>
> vg  Steffen

FlexForms (FCE) have internal translation handling, that means the
translation is stored in the XML of the record itself. Two diffrent
Modes are supported:
- langChildren=1 (translation with fallback possibilities, saved in XML
as siblingelement)
- langChildren=0 (seperate structures in the XML)

While langChildren=1 is the recommended setting for Contentelements.

(You have to set the FCE itself to language "All" (because the element
should be shown in all languages - and the translation is handled
inside) (=> this is the best practice like described in l10ndoc - but
its worse to communicate to users))

If you set langDisable=1 the translation handling in the flexform is
disabled. This is recommended setting for Container-Elements (like a 2
column grid or most of the Page DS). With this setting there is no
translation feature supported by the TV-Page Modul imho. (And not
supported according to the localisation-guidline dmitry pointed out)

However from a pure technical view you can combine this flexform
localisation with the classic one (=pure database overlay record is
created). This works out-of-the box if you create the overlayrecord by
yourself and edit the reference (l18parent) to the default element.
BUT:
*This is not supported by the PAGE modul
*you have no fieldbased fallback
*you have no diff view for the fields.

(Since we are working hard on improved
languagehandling/fallback/visibility I hope we can show our new features
at the T3DD08 maybe.)