[TYPO3-dev] What features from roadmap/wiki will make it in 4.2?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Feb 5 16:08:33 CET 2008

Hi Ingo,
>> like the new form wizard combined with the improved form
>> rendering. Will this make it in 4.2?
>
> nope

too bad - that was something that would have tempted me to upgrade to 4.2.

>> And how about improved FE editing.
>
> nope

Why are those important improvements treated like a stepmother? I mean -
a new backend rendering and this Ajax-toys are nice gadgets, but that
also could have waited one or two more releases. Those get implemented,
but broken or really really out-dated [1], quite essential features
don't get fixed or have least priority. I don't get that, and I don't
understand why the R&D-team or the association doesn't care about that,
create some guidelines or a straight forward roadmap and co-finance
their development to bring TYPO3 up2date with state of the art features
out of the box. If they do so, it at least isn't communicated clearly
like that.

I like TYPO3 quite a lot (for now), but I notice more and more, that
TYPO3 is missing a overall concept where to go with the framework, what
tasks to cover within built-in features and so on.
Yes, there are some extensions that implement at least some of the
missing state of the art features, but be honest - they are all just a
ugly workarounds and sometimes even crap. I had multiple thoughts about
forking TYPO3 and make it more easy to use - but I neither have the
needed knowledge of the core nor enough time for that.

Ok, now that v5 is coming up, some changes might not be worth the
effort, but as I see it, those improvements already could have been done
one or two years ago. To get forward, you have to let loose sometimes -
so backwards compatibility is a good thing, but it has to be worth the
price you pay to renounce improvements.

My last hope now is v5 - but honestly, I'm not too optimistic for that.

Sorry - had to let it out.

[1] form rendering, table wizard, multimedia rendering, csc to name some
--
kind regards,
Franz