[TYPO3-dev] Feature Request: Getting rid of TCA palettes

Simon Tuck stu at rtpartner.ch
Tue Dec 23 18:40:48 CET 2008

Franz Holzinger wrote:

> The TCA palettes are necessary in extensions to implement a multi tab
> backend. There is no other possibility to have it.
The palettes are what you see when you enable the "secondary options".
They have nothing to do with the tabs.

> 'secondary options' are necessary. A normal user wants to see only the
> most important fields to have a quick result.

Well we could debate the definition of a normal user ;-)
*My* position is that users are not much interested in "secondary
options" and just want to see the fields they can edit. It's an
additional click and for some it is even confusing (it's not immediately
obvious that secondary options need to be activated). And now that we do
have tabbed interfaces I see very little point with palettes.

Also I have an issue with the conflict between palettes and access lists
for users, i.e. I cannot enable a field in a palette if the parent field
is disabled.

Anyway, I haven't seen any discussion on this before and wanted to put
it to the group.

Best,
Simon