[TYPO3-dev] Workspace improvements, new already financed project - Feedback desired

Sonja Scholz ss at cabag.ch
Fri Dec 19 17:57:41 CET 2008

Hi all,

in January we will develop several improvements to the workspace modul
of TYPO3. Some changes will be financed, so we will do that anyway. To
make sure that we can put our improvements into the core, we would like
to make a strategy with the responsible core developers. There will be a
lot of changes, so it won´t be a single easy to check patch.

Our target is to get the following things into the core of TYPO3 4.3.

- Bug Report: 9682:
--------------------
A few weeks ago, I posted a RFC entry in the core list for the following
bug report: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9682

It should be possible to configure the workspace, so not the DB mount
from the sys_workspace configuration is used. Instead of this, the DB
mount of user/group should be used.

This makes it possible to have several backend users and groups with
different DB mounts, which uses the same workspace. This prevents a lot
of workspace configurations for a complex permission structure.

There is a clean patch against the trunk with the bug report.

- Rewrite of staging and mailing process
The target is, to have the stages (Publish, Editing, Review) of a
workspace modular. So it's possible to create own stages, where Mail
recipients, following stages and editors can be defined.

We will implement a IRRE interface for the Workspace, where you can
create and connect the stages.

- Improve the labels/translations in workspace
We also want to improve the labels and descriptions in the workspace
application, to make it easier to understand for the customer.

- Easy preview method for Extensions
---------------------------------------
At the moment nearly no extension in the frontend supports preview of ws
records. This is because it is nearly impossible to care about workspace
versions when you search and list records with joins. We found a nice
solution with subselects or views, which makes it very easy. This part
has not main priority.

We will develop most of the things in January and February.

May be the best would be to create a 4.3 project on forge.typo3.org and
merge it at some point with the main version trunk. Like the other big
4.3 improvements do it.

We know that this will take some time until it is in a release, may be
it goes into 4.4. For our needs we will use xclasses to integrate it in
the projects, so we are not depending on the core integration.

It would be really great to make all this available for the community,
but for this we need some support to prepare our changes for the core in
the right way.

Kind regards,

Sonja