[TYPO3-dev] Good times with MySQL 5.1

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Dec 13 13:30:03 CET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 5:44 AM, Steffen Kamper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steffen Gebert schrieb:
>> What I read about 5.1:
>> http://www.heise.de/open/MySQL-Gruender-warnt-vor-aktueller-Version--/news/meldung/119645
>>  (german)
>> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/11/oops-we-did-it-again-mysql-51-released.html
>>  (original blog post by the founder of MySQL).
>>

> i don't worry about those messages. Bugs are normal and will be
> fixed in
> serious projects. What would be if someone write an article: "Beware
> of
> TYPO3 4.3 - there are 27 Bugs that are not fixed..."
> So i look forward to future versions of MySQL ;-)
>
> vg Steffen

Steffen

if Michael Widenius (co founder of MySQL AB)  writes that in a blog
then you can savely assume something is wrong.

It would be the same as if Kasper would write such a blog about TYPO3.

What he is saying is that current MySQL's development model is wrong and
it should be better community driven much like Drizzle and PostgreSQL.
The community decides when it's ready rather then some manager
says '1st of Nov we have a release, no matter what!!!) The same would
be if Ingo is saying that
and he wouldn't listen to you about any serious pending bugs.

He is also saying that if you are serious about using MySQL, you
better test it very well before
you actually use it.

That said, I don't think that the TYPO3 community has to be worried,
TYPO3 basically uses all features
that where available in MySQL 3.x (Is that SQL 92??) and doesn't use
any features found
in current version of 5.0 or 5.1 (Correct me if I am wrong)

Ries