[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

grac grac at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 13 12:42:16 CET 2008

hi

@ masi
>>    * does typo3 need to have fixed images?
>>
> No.

thanks so much for this very clear answer!
which gives me a lot of hope that maybe one day this discussion is
obsolete...

>>    * is it just a purist ideology?
>>
> Maybe, but probably the idea didn't occur to most of us.

so then: let me try a historic interpretation of this phenomenon.

if i'm not totally mistaken, typo3 was invented during the times when
web browsers disbehaved quite a bit and were not only full of errors,
but also involved in the famous browser war of the end 90ies.
and every browser had its proprietary coding.
which drove everyone crasy.
designers and all other web workers.

so the only possible workaround for including images in a web site / web
page was to include it in a table cell with precisely defined values for
width and height.
otherwise every image would have destroyed every layout by expanding
uncontrollable, depending on the dimensions of the image and other false
coding.

but meanwhile browsers behave much better (excluding of course IE6 which
is still in the market, some 20%).

there is no need to use tables any more for a layout, not even for forms.
thanks to CSS.
and for IE6 there are CSS-hacks working quite effective.

so it seems to me that the treatment of images in typo3 hasn't adapted
to the changed browser world.
but still represents these old times...

all i'm asking for is the possibility to treat images in the RTE
text/img and img in a modern way by having the choise of giving them a
CSS class and be - as a consequence - able to break the chains of old
fashionned treatment of images in typo3.

>>    * is it in the development pipeline to give the editor this possibility?
>>

> There is a patch that enables em as image width.

i know, but in the case of dealing with div's and FCE it's not enought
to have em.
one needs %.

thanks for your understanding.

stephan