[TYPO3-dev] How to auto-update Typo3 to latest stable via SVN ?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Dec 2 15:14:07 CET 2008

Hi!

Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> Yes, you're right. But I understand the Stefan's need because what is
> missing for the time being is a way to *easily* get a list of
> security/bug patches that may be applied to a stable version without
> needing to wait for the next release which requires some efforts from
> the release manager to prepare.

It does not work this way in TYPO3.

There are always two parts:
- core
- extension

For extensions it is simple: subscribe to the announcements list and get an announcement when security team issues the next bulletin.

For the core if there is a security issue, it always means releasing a new version of TYPO3 officially as a package. Again, the announcement list will tell you to update your core. The fix will be committed to SVN immediately before releasing a new version because it is important to have fixed packages available *before* disclosing the security issue.

So Stefan should subscribe to the announcement list :) What can be easier?

> You know the problem that arised with 4.2.2 and the time it took before
> getting 4.2.3 (I'm not blaming anyone). Many website maintainers had to
> switch back to 4.2.1 whereas a list of patches to be applied to 4.2.2
> may have allow them to actually keep the 4.2.2+ version being used in a
> productive way.

This is a different issue and it comes from the fact that we (=TYPO3) do not have a proper testing team. If we had, 4.2.2 problem would never happen.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team