[TYPO3-dev] Refactoring TCEforms

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Aug 25 11:42:10 CEST 2008

Hi!

Andreas Wolf wrote:
> This is what I did until now:
>
> * tear apart the old class t3lib_TCEforms
> * put every element type into its own class
> * put different form types into own classes (not complete)
> * rebuild parts of the code to make the new class structure work
> * some changes to alt_doc.php to use the new object structure

Sounds good. However I have a question (as usual) :)

How do you plan to preserve compatibility? For example, if an extension uses t3lib_TCEforms now, will it break?

I am +1 for making these definitely positive changes to TCEforms. But we always care to stay compatible in some way. Or at least we have to provide guidelines how to change the existing code in extensions if they use TCEforms.

Also it would be very nice to add one more point to the rewrite: make it easy to use TCEforms in BE modules. Currently alt_doc is almost the only way that uses TCEforms. Using them from extensions would be great. Making them useful in FE would be just perfect. (Am I looking too far?)

> [1] http://www.andreaswolf.info/typo3/tceforms-uml/

Palette is a containment inside form element. This is ok for global palette but what about fields that can have attached palettes?

I did not look to the code, just wondering how that will work with such containment.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team