[TYPO3-dev] Subversion and TYPO3

christian reiter cr at cxd.de
Thu Sep 20 22:13:05 CEST 2007

Hello,

As far as I see  abz_eff_tsconfig is basically like a templating package
for supporting project structure. It doesn't integrate an SVN command
interface into the TYPO3 backend. I think that is what is meant with
"integration of subversion"

- to have subversion commands in the clickmenu of the Filelist backend
module  (similar to what np_subversion is doing, I guess) and also to
change all content elements using files to a mode of reference instead
of copying.

That is really the important part. It´s for client projects where

a) there must be no file copying
b) all changes to files must leave an auditing trail

"Files" here means not just configuration files like typoscript, HTML
templates, but basically each and every image, PDF, etc that makes up
your normal content. Everything is taken from fileadmin, which is
versioned with SVN, and the uploads/ directory remains empty.

So it´s about using subversion to manage the website assets, and not
just the configuration.

For instance if you have an image called
"fileadmin/images/something.jpg".

Let´s say it is used in pages:media on some page, and in
tt_content:image somewhere, and also a soft reference  in
sys_template:config somewhere, and in tt_news:image, and in
tx_someextension_records:fileresouurce, and also in
tt_content:header_link somewhere, and in all the many other places in
TYPO3 where you can enter a file.

In contrast to the normal TYPO3 way, all of these will not refer
to copies of this JPG in uploads/pics/something_xy.jpg  and
uploads/media but directly to fileadmin/images/something.jpg.

(this is like what you can do with "dam_ttcontent" for content elements
image + text w/image, but by default for ALL entries made in fields of
type group / file.)

A sys_template reference and a RTE inserted image of Type "Normal" are
direct references anyway.

Now for instance you want to rename / move this image to
fileadmin/template/images/newname.jpg

Since it´s versioned, you do this through an SVN rename command that you
can run from the TYPO3 filelist clickmenu.

And when it is renamed, the database records in tt_content, pages,
sys_template etc are automatically changed and the reference index
updated - Because otherwise the references would be broken.

Likewise if you upate a different version of the image from the
repository, all of the references from pages, tt_content, news, etc will
reflect the change to the file, after deleting the cache.

The extension isn´t made public yet, because it was created for specific
client requests and the above way of working is pretty different from
the normal TYPO3 way. So it is only interesting for situations where
this way of working is required (some clients simply forbid any
duplication of files for liability reasons, e.g. when medical
information like adverse event documentation is affected).

However depending on use cases it is of course possible to separate the
  global file reference part and the subversion integration into the
clickmenu.

Some background to the concept can also be found in
http://www.typo3journal.info/?id=118

christian

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/abz_eff_tsconfig/0.1.1/view/1/1/

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/abz_eff_template/0.1.1/view/1/1/