[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3-Site Maintanance

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Thu Sep 20 07:47:34 CEST 2007

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Hey Joh and Steffen,
>
> nah, there is an easier way.... this was on the english ML (or some
> other ML) just a few days ago -- I like the approach:
>
> Just generate another main template (a TS template) that is hidden and
> that you activate once you're going in maintenance mode (and then you
> hide your normal one). Just two clicks.
>
> greetings,
> benni.
> -SDG-
>
> www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org
>

> JoH asenau wrote:
>>> what do you do for maintainance on a site ?
>>> I do a new page at the beginning with a simple setup. But what with the
>>> other pages, they are still available.
>>> It would be nice to redirect direct to a little static HTML-page.
>>>
>>> Maybe it could be managed by an entry in localconf.php to redirect to
>>> this
>>> page. So DB is free for some works/backups etc.
>>> What do you think ?
>>

>> Simply create another page on the root level.
>>
>> maintenance
>>     |- Page1
>>     |- Page 2
>>
>> and then create a domain record for this page, that will redirect all
>> requests to this page only. This way all the subpages of "Home" won't be
>> available anymore, since they are not in the same tree.
>>
>> When you're done, simply move the domain record to the home page again.

hi

from SEO point of view its good to send proper headers.

In that case the best would be:
1) send:    503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
2) send:    Retry-After: 3600

So maybe instead of making another templates one can make just proper
.htaccess file.

It is even possible to define developer IP in .htaccess so we can
normally (as developer) still access the site and the rest of the world
see "We are just upgrading out site. Come back later".

Read that article. It is all there:
http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/503-service-temporarily-unavailable.html

--
greetings