[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.2 Alpha 1

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Sep 10 20:52:15 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> When Michael Stucki, head of TYPO3 4.x development, announced the PHP 5.x
> requirement he set the goal of 5.2 but also reminded everybody to stick to
> 5.1 for now. Exactly for the reasons you posted here.
>
> As for now (4.2 alpha) little code really needs PHP 5.1 and none 5.2. IMHO
> we should leave that for 4.2.
>
> So in fact there is little to worry for you right now.

Signed.

Unfortunately it seems that this exception was misunderstood by a lot of
people (including some core team members).

When we made the decision for joining GoPHP5, it was clear already that they
will set the requirement to PHP 5.2, mainly because such an initiative
can't be repeated every 6 months.

However, it's out of question that most users don't want to fiddle with
unsupported PHP versions when their favourite Linux distribution doesn't
ship 5.2 or later. Therefore we agreed to avoid any 5.2 specific features
until this will change.

So for next time, let's reword this part of the announcement:

| To run TYPO3 4.2alpha1 you need to have at least PHP 5.2 or 5.1 in case
| SuSE and Redhat have still not switched.

Actually I don't like to make advertisement in such a way... :-|

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out