[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.2 Alpha 1

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Sep 10 15:17:00 CEST 2007

ries van Twisk schrieb:
> Hey Ingo,
>
> you didn't answer the real question of Francois:
>
>  - Francois asked: Are there really critical features from 5.2.x that
> are being used?
>
> It's nice that TYPO3 joined the goPHP5 initiative and I fully agree with
> that.
> But you cannot force your own userbase just to some PHP version, you
> need to give
> them a range to work with.
>
> But like Francois asked, do we REALLY need 5.2.x why not go for a 5.1.x
> version.
>
> I know SUSE supplies a version of 5.2.x and it is one of the dev
> environments of core
> developers (I am sure not all core developers use suse), but remember
> that some mayor
> distributions will supply a 5.1.x still 'out of the box still.

When Michael Stucki, head of TYPO3 4.x development, announced the PHP 5.x
requirement he set the goal of 5.2 but also reminded everybody to stick to
5.1 for now. Exactly for the reasons you posted here.

As for now (4.2 alpha) little code really needs PHP 5.1 and none 5.2. IMHO
we should leave that for 4.2.

So in fact there is little to worry for you right now.

Masi