[TYPO3-dev] <base> tag and IE6

Christian Welzel gawain at camlann.de
Sun Sep 9 10:12:24 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> You overestimate it by saying "every developer". And the answer is "no"

Ok, every developer using float for his layouts. What i would estimate
the half of all webdevs nowadays.

> because it will violate part 12.4 of HTML specification, which says:
> Start tag: required, End tag: forbidden

Then Typo3 currently violates exactly this rule.
It generates the base tag as <base /> which means that the base tag
has an end tag (following xml spec
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-starttags) although
the element is empty. And empty elements can be written with an <tag/>
or <tag></tag> following above spec.

For strict html 4.01 compliance the base tag had to be <base href="...">
without any slashes.

> We do not bring things that violate specifications to the core.

Than please change the current implementation to <base> as <base/>
violates your quoted spec.

--
 MfG, Christian Welzel

  GPG-Key:     http://www.camlann.de/key.asc
  Fingerprint: 4F50 19BF 3346 36A6 CFA9 DBDC C268 6D24 70A1 AD15