[TYPO3-dev] <base> tag and IE6

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 07:21:47 CEST 2007

Hi Dmitry,

On 9/8/07, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] <dmitry at typo3.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Christian Welzel wrote:
> > i have now found a solution to one of my problems:
> > Users of IE6 could not select text on my float-based websites using
> > the mouse. After googling for hours and trying to fix the "position:
> > absolute" bug (that causes the same error) though i didnt use absolute
> > on these pages, now all text selection work fine.
> > The secret? Typo3 generates the short form of the base tag if config.baseurl
> > is set (<base />). Exactly this short form causes the bug. Changing it to
> > <base ...></base> solves it just fine.
> >
> > So hereby i request this change to be added to the next release of typo3.
> > It costs nothing to the system but makes the life of every web developer
> > much more easier.
>
> You overestimate it by saying "every developer". And the answer is "no"
> because it will violate part 12.4 of HTML specification, which says:
>
> -------------------------
> 12.4 Path information: the BASE element
> <!ELEMENT BASE - O EMPTY               -- document base URI -->
> <!ATTLIST BASE
>   href        %URI;          #REQUIRED -- URI that acts as base URI --
>   >

> Start tag: required, End tag: forbidden
> -------------------------
>
> Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.4
>
> We do not bring things that violate specifications to the core.

While I agree that this would be a bad idea, TYPO3 is absolutely NOT
html 4.01 compliant (though it should be...), so there is no point in
quoting that spec.

But in any case I agree: TYPO3 should not adopt nonstandard markup
practices to accommodate a single useragent--especially IE6 whose use
is gradually declining.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/