[TYPO3-dev] which php-version?

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Sep 5 22:17:22 CEST 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Elmar Hinz wrote:

>> on windows i have no problems at all, but that is local  :-)
>>
>> on linux it depends on the packages you get with os.
>> Most errors coming rwhile running more complex sites - memory bugs,
>> strange results etc.
>>
>> In my eyes this is since 5.2.0 - searching in buglist can be a
>> dayjob ...
>>
>> vg  Steffen
>
> That's the point with the total cost of ownership. Who is the
> winner? MS
> reduces the amount of possible problems by strictly using a few
> standard
> setups of a few OS.
>
> Linux, also T3, still have to learn from this. The way is to
> introduce more
> standards, but without giving up the freedom that makes open source so
> successful and interesting. That act of balance is possible, like
> Ubuntu,
> Redhat and others show.
>

> Regards
>
> Elmar

I think like Elmar said is that we should not try to use
the latest version but try to be a bit more conservative.
Ubuntu, RH and some other distro's do the same.

I do foresee problems when TYPO3 4.2 will get released which
do have an 5.2 requirement (yes people will install 5.2.0 aswell....).

Good for business though, M$ does the same :)

Ries