[TYPO3-dev] Time issues - a proposal

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sat Oct 27 10:44:48 CEST 2007

Benjamin Mack schrieb:

> b) The UTC thing is a big issue, although I didn't fully read through
> all the problems TYPO3 has with UTC conversions.

There are no problems in that kind of conversion. The problem is that
you cannot change the server's timezone or - more inportant - move data
onto another server with a different timezone. All values will suffer
from an offset. If you store times in UTC there is no such problem.

 > I propose having a Date
> class where we have a couple more functions to the two you propose:
>
> * A function that outputs the date/time specified for a specific BE user
> for the timezone and the output format he selected

In the Core list I envisaged a common TZ for the BE plus a user specific
override. An additional gimmick is the showing of the UTC time as tooltip.

> * A function that transfers a date / time a BE user entered in a form
> (in his format and his timezone) into a valid UTC timestamp again.

TCEform will handle that. The user will see and enter the date/time
according to the UI settings and the value will be stored according to
the storage option (eiter UTC or local TZ).

Masi