[TYPO3-dev] Time issues - a proposal

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Sat Oct 27 00:45:05 CEST 2007

Hey Masi,

great ideas!

a) Dropping the seconds in the time comparison is somewhat of a good
improvement since nobody, I mean, nobody is setting the endtime to
seconds. I see no reason not to do this. So a straight +1 for the idea.

b) The UTC thing is a big issue, although I didn't fully read through
all the problems TYPO3 has with UTC conversions. I propose having a Date
class where we have a couple more functions to the two you propose:

* A function that outputs the date/time specified for a specific BE user
for the timezone and the output format he selected
* A function that transfers a date / time a BE user entered in a form
(in his format and his timezone) into a valid UTC timestamp again.

(maybe we can rather put this in the BEuser class)

Dunno if we need or if it makes sense to have a full class but in the
end we could run all date/time-related functions through there and it's
gonna be a nice and good API for the rest.

greetings,
benni.
-SDG-