[TYPO3-dev] MySQL First Letter and Umlauts

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Oct 26 21:54:04 CEST 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:50:36 +0200, Franz Koch wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3-dev] MySQL First Letter and Umlauts":

> Hi Steffen,
>
> > i need a tip for an alphabetic List in mySQL (all in utf8).
> >
> > I did this (for drwiki)
> > SELECT DISTINCT keyword,ASCII(UPPER(SUBSTRING(keyword,1,1))) letter FROM
> > `tx_drwiki_pages` ORDER BY letter
> >
> > This works fine until the keyword starts with Umlaut, e.g. ÄÖÜ
> > The strange is that Ä results in ASCII 195, but it is 196 ...
> >
> > Now i thout to use replace for that chars like REPLACE(keyword,'Ä', 'Ae'),
> > but i need more than one replace, i don't know how to do that in one query.
> >
> > If i change ORDER BY to keyword i get the wrong order (well known in utf8
> > with Umlauts)
>

> I don't have a suggestion, but please check the setup of your newsgroup
> client. The umlauts in your message did not show up correctly. The
> message itself is encoded in ISO-8859-1 while the mail-header seems to
> say nothing and thus it was shown in utf-8 in my case. So all your
> special chars (umlauts) where '?' before I switched to iso encoding.
> It's hard to understand your mails while only seeing question marks in
> the critical parts of your message ;)

Are you sure of the mistake at the sender? ;-)
My newsreader (Forte Agent) has no problems showing all umlauts.

Bernd
--
Don't ask what the TYPO3-community can do for you.
Ask what you can do for the TYPO3-community.