[TYPO3-dev] typolink - link to records 2

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:02:04 CEST 2007

>  So I would propose to have a hook where each extension can "generate
> the link" it finds appropriate for a given record-uid. This could
> depend on the storage-pid, on the current rootline, maybe even on
> other bizarrefactors we don't know (and don't care) about.

Daniel can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe thats exactly
the way the underlying hook for the core is set up.  You register a
keyword inside your extension (usually a table name but in the case of
Daniel's extension, linkhandler) and your extension gets the ability
to run any code it wants when its keyword is found in a typolink.

The challenge with the original implementation of this hook is there
wasn't a user interface tied to it at all.  Keywords were not
necessarily table names and there wasn't a clear place that a keyword
could define what it allowed you to select (ie. tt_news articles).
This is where Daniel's linkhandler keyword came in, adding the
structure of TSConfig and Typoscript.

The original core hook should still work just fine for those cases
when more complex processing is needed, but it seems like there may be
a little disconnect between the hook method and the linkhandler
method.  Is there anything we can do to make those more similar? Just
my two cents :)

Daniel, thanks for coding this up.  Its a huge step forward!

Jeff