[TYPO3-dev] Page tree search box

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Tue Nov 27 16:38:19 CET 2007

"Benjamin Mack" <mack at xnos.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.2536.1196177451.14020.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hey,
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> It shouldn't be a problem if it can disabled on a user per basis. But it
>> is as the user setup UI doesn't show all options.
> I tend to disagree. As seen on many instruction meetings, editors / admins
> always were groaning when they first saw the BE. I don't want to overload
> it more for new users. I also think: If 80% of the users don't use it, we
> should have it as a "Enable search box in page tree" option.
>
>> So IMHO we should do two things before we disable the box by default:
>>
>> a) make it really usable (eg with the AJAX subtree thingy)
>> b) make the user setup UI usable (show all UI options)
> Yep. completely agreed. Unfortunately I don't have time for this before
> 4.2 since there is tons of other work in the BE that needs more attention
> than a search field for the page tree. Means: If no other raises his hand
> right now, it will be left half-baken until then. (Especially your point
> "b").
>
> OK. So here is what I think:
> We should remove it completely for now (from the source control as well,
> we still have it existing) and re-introduce it with 4.3 again. One of my
> big plans for 4.3 is the re-birth of the user task center so it's quite
> usable. Also, work for the pagetree never ends ;-) so I think we could
> work on this for 4.3.
> Same problem is the topapps sysext that is shipped with every installation
> but half-baked and not installed by default. Either one decides to work on
> it and wants to finish one or I think we should move it to TER.
>
> Just my two cents... also, Kasper, it's not against you, I'm just
> concerned about have a clean and good BE interface...
>
> --
> greetings,
> benni.
> -SDG-
>
> www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org

Hi benni,

full ack from my side. Time is running and there are a lot of half-finished
things that has to be finished first. It's better to concentrate on that to
have a good stable release instead of having many new features but half
finished.
I'm also astonished that you have so much duties (especially for BE) and
there are only some weeks left, but i really admire you're work and energy.

vg  Steffen